Now THESE sandwiches are a serious football game dinner! These garlicky, cheesy, Italian sausage sandwiches will easily win over the pickiest of eaters. These are loaded with hot Italian sausage, spicy tomato sauce, tons of cheese and garlic butter in a toasted bun to make the ultimate game day food!
I’ve been drowning my sorrows in these sandwiches all week. Realizing that your 40 hour work week is gone for good and replaced by a 60 hour week definitely deserves a couple indulgent, cheesy, spicy sandwiches to fill my stomach and numb my feelings. I love my work though, so don’t feel bad for me! But I find myself daydreaming of these sandwiches while a patient scolds me or as my stomach grumbles at 3pm, reminding me that I forgot to eat lunch.
Things have been crazy busy at work lately and since my husband is working just as much (if not more!), we barely get time to see each other. So our way of catching up has become centered around eating. Most nights it’s a quick meal, reheated or baked in the oven and on the table (which is really us sitting on the couch) in 20 minutes. But sometimes, if we’re lucky, we find time to cook together.
Usually on a Sunday.
Usually between football games or half time.
It doesn’t have to be complicated or fancy, but it’s just fun to try new recipes together or experiment with a new one. And that’s what these sandwiches were about. Between football games and calculating fantasy football points, we sautéed the Italian sausage and stirred in the tomato sauce and red wine then let it simmer while the game came back on.
We toasted the buns slightly in the garlic butter and then loaded each one up with the sausage filling before topping it with loads of cheese. We placed the sandwiches under the broiler and eagerly watched as the cheese bubbled then browned. We sat back on the couch, with our sandwiches in hand, just as the announcer came back on the TV.
And can I just mention that these sandwiches do NOT get soggy!! Seriously, a soggy sandwich is a complete turn off for me, so I can vouch that these taste just as good hours later. Probably because we toasted the buns, but mostly because we lined the toasted bun in mozzarella cheese before adding the sausage filling for an even more cheesy, delicious sandwich!
These sandwiches are super easy to make!
- Brush garlic butter over hot dog buns and bake until toasted
- Load with mozzarella cheese and spicy sausage
- Top with more cheese and broil until it starts to bubble
- Add onions and basil and then EAT!!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp garlic paste (or 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely)
Italian Sausage Mixture:
- 1 lb ground italian sausage
- 1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
- ¼ cup red wine
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 4 sandwich or hot dog buns
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- chopped red onion and basil for garnish
- For the butter, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Set aside until ready to use
- For the sausage mixture: brown the sausage in a large pan then add the tomato sauce and red wine. Let it simmer for 15 mins over medium low heat. Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil and salt to taste.
- When ready to serve, slather the butter over the inside and tops of buns. Toast in the oven until slightly browned and butter has melted. Remove from the oven and place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese into each bun followed by the italian sausage mixture. Then top each sandwich with 2 slices of provolone cheese and place under the broiler under cheese starts to bubble. Remove from oven.
- Top with chopped onions and basil and serve!
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us @littlekitchenbigworld!