Because sometimes you just need something really chocolatey!
I’m in a sugar coma as I write this. Actually, to be totally honest, I’m in a sugar coma while I write this WITH one of these chocolate crunch bars in my hand. There. That’s the whole truth. Judge me if you need to, I know I am. But it hasn’t stopped me yet. They’re just too good to resist! The chocolate starts to melt in your hands as you bite into these, the crunchy bits make a loud, satisfying sound and the creamy caramel coats your mouth.
While we were in Japan, we got into a bad habit. Or maybe it was a good habit? We found these delicious chocolate snacks at the local “7/11” one night. These chocolate bites were in small packages, maybe 10 or 12 pieces in the bag so it seemed innocent enough. We would grab a couple bags, enough for the 4 of us to share, and a small bottle of Japanese whiskey before settling in at the end of a long day. We crammed onto one couch, the four of us half asleep, sipping on whiskey and eating chocolate. It was, honestly, my favourite part of the day. We reminisced on what we saw, what we had felt, smelled, and what we tasted. We planned the next day ahead and toasted to another successful sightseeing day.
I miss those nights.
These chocolate bars are a BIGGER, caramel-filled version of that snack. They’re made with only 4 ingredients, which makes this even better…or worse…I can’t make up my mind!! The chocolate is melted, mixed with puff rice cereal and spread over a baking tray before being layered with the gooey, creamy caramel. The final layer of chocolate is spread over top and chilled before being cut into squares….BIG squares if you’re like me.
These chocolate crunch caramel bars are so fun to eat. The caramel drips down your hands and chin as you greedily bite into them. The puffed rice cereal gives a loud crunch sound and the chocolate sticks to your fingers. You’ll feel like a kid again as you eat these, not caring about the chocolate on your face or what you look like as you lick your fingers.
And I know I said this already, but seriously guys, 4 INGREDIENTS!!! How awesome is that? You probably have a couple or ALL of the ingredients in your kitchen right now, so you REALLY need to make these. Mostly because I’ll feel less guilty if you’re eating these too, do a girl a solid hey!?
- 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups rice cereal
- 1 package (14 oz) soft caramels
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place 2 cups of chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Place in the microwave and melt on high, stirring at 30 seconds intervals, until melted (approx 90 seconds). Stir in 1 cup of puffed rice cereal and spread over the baking pan in an even layer. Refrigerate until chocolate sets.
- In a medium sauce pan, add the caramels and heavy cream. Over medium heat, melt the caramels, continuing to stir so the caramels don't burn to the bottom. Let it cool for 5 minutes then pour over the chocolate mixture. Return the pan back to the fridge and let it set, approx 10-15 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave and add the remaining cereal. Stir until combined and then spread over the cooled chocolate/caramel mixture. Let it cool completely.
- To serve, remove the bars from the fridge and cut into 9 large squares. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Don’t forget to tag us in your photos using #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us on Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld so we can see what you’re cooking!