It’s that time of the year again!!!! When I raid the grocery stores for ALL of their blood oranges. I love this season! I dread winter, but then I remember that blood oranges are back in season and I’m happy again! My husband laughs at how excited I get over these perfectly coloured citrus fruits, but I don’t mind. He’ll be just as excited when he finds out I’m making these sweet, citrusy and boozy blood orange and basil bourbon smash cocktails!
And this recipe is coming to you in perfect time for the weekend! Weekends deserve cocktails, am I right? Because you kicked butt at work this week and you deserve to start off your weekend with one or two cocktails. Because you got out of bed, maybe showered (if you didn’t hit the snooze button), got dressed and had a productive day, 5 days in a row!! Go you! This drink is a toast to the week behind you and the weekend ahead of you.
And if you can’t find any blood oranges at your grocery store, don’t worry! You can easily sub it in with regular orange juice, grapefruit juice or maybe even pomegranate juice!?
- 3 basil leaves
- 2 oz simple syrup (see note below)
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 6 ounces blood orange juice
- club soda OR San Pellegrino Blood Orange Soda
- basil leaves and orange slices for garnish
*to make simple syrup, simple simmer ½ cup of water with ½ cup granulated sugar until it dissolves, let it cool = simple syrup!*
- Place basil leaves and simple syrup in a glass. Muddle to bruise the basil leaves then pour in the bourbon. Add the blood orange juice and stir. Strain into a glass filled with ice. Top with club soda and garnish with basil leaves and blood orange slices.
- **Update** San Pellegrino Blood Orange Soda is absolutely AMAZING in this cocktail, if you can find it, use it!!