It’s finally football season, a time of year where my husband settles into a marathon run of football games on the TV and I’m still trying to figure out what “offside” is. No, I actually like football I swear! Maybe it’s the intensity of each play, or the athleticism….who am I kidding, I love the food! Deep fried, guilty-pleasure foods seem to go hand in hand with watching football, so obviously I’m a huge fan of the sport! Which is why I couldn’t resist starting off the month with these spicy, crispy, saucy buffalo chicken wings with roasted jalapeno and blue cheese dipping sauce.
Football season makes me think of the ultimate eating-with-your-hands foods, so I’m totally excited for our football food month! Oh wait, you didn’t know? This month we’re featuring foods that go with watching football. Whether it’s tailgating before the game or binge-watching on a Sunday, this month is all about you! We’re talking about smothering foods in hot sauce, cooking with beer and cheesy dips that you can’t get enough of. Chicken wings, nachos, sandwiches, burgers and everything that you can ultimately eat without utensils! Less utensils means less dishes, which means more time to watch football. See, I’m looking out for you guys!
Like I said, I love this time of year. Where else is it socially acceptable to start drinking copious amounts of beer at 1pm in the afternoon while gorging on fake nacho cheese and chips and a footlong hot dog at the same time?!
This month, we’re starting out with these spicy, crispy chicken wings smothered in buttery hot sauce and a creamy roasted jalapeno and blue cheese sauce. It’s incredibly flavourful and the crispy chicken skin is the best!! These wings are everything you could want while watching football. Saucy, crispy, spicy and creamy.
These wings are covered in a spicy seasoning and baked until crispy then tossed in hot sauce and drizzled with blue cheese dressing. My mouth is watering while I write this and I’ve eaten these twice this week. I’m not even ashamed to admit that! The creaminess of the jalapeno and blue cheese dressing adds an extra kick while cooling down your mouth at the same time. I know, weird, but it’s true! I couldn’t stop dipping the wings into the blue cheese sauce. It was tangy, creamy, cheesy with the right amount of spice to go with the chicken wings!
I’m so excited to share my football food recipes with you guys this month! If there’s anything you want to see specifically, let me know! And don’t forget to tag your recipes with #littlekitchenbigworld!
- 2 lb chicken wings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup hot sauce, I used Frank's Red Hot Sauce
Roasted Jalapeno and Blue Cheese Sauce:
- 2 jalapenos, deseeded and halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup blue cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Toss the chicken wings with the olive oil, baking powder and spices. Lay out on a nonstick pan in a single layer and cook for 40 mins, flipping half way through. Remove from heat.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add in hot sauce. Stir together and remove from heat. In a large bowl, pour in the hot sauce butter and add in the cooked chicken wings. Toss together to coat the wings evenly.
- While the wings are in the oven, rub the olive oil over the jalapenos and roast in the oven until the skin becomes charred and softened, approx. 20 mins. Remove from the oven and let the peppers cool. Peel off the skin and place in the food processor along with the blue cheese, sour cream, mayo, milk, garlic and lemon. Pulse until smooth. Thin it out with water until desired consistency and then serve with chicken wings.