I am LOVING all the summer produce lately. The aisles at the grocery store are practically spilling over with fresh peaches, cucumbers and tomatoes. The berries are plump and juicy and I obviously couldn’t resist buying them all! You already know about my obsession over peaches, but blueberries aren’t far behind. These tiny, plump, juicy bites of goodness are too good to be true. I LOVE a good blueberry muffin so naturally I needed to make these double-layered streusel blueberry muffins with dark chocolate chunks.
How about you? Are you as much of a fan of the blueberry muffin as I am? My mom used to make blueberry streusel muffins at home, they were always my favourite. It’s that combination of blueberry, cinnamon and sugar that just goes so well together. I love raw blueberries too, but when they’re baked into some delicious dessert, they become sweeter and stickier and it tastes even better.
But the streusel topping has to be my favourite. How could it NOT be!?!? It’s crunchy, sweet, chewy and smells of cinnamon sugar. As if a streusel topping wasn’t enough, I had to layer the muffin with extra streusel so you get the cinnamon-oat-sugar bite right in the middle of the muffin too. How good is that!?
Oh, and the chocolate?? Well, just because! I couldn’t resist adding some extra dark chocolate chunks to the batter before baking these muffins. It wasn’t planned, but once it was in my head, I couldn’t think of this recipe any other way. You can omit the chocolate, but why would you want to!?!?
I’m trying to make recipes that are easy to take to work. I’m all about the meal prep lately and I’m not sure how long it will last (Ha!) so until then, I’m riding this wave. These blueberry muffins are a perfect to-go breakfast on your way to work or school.
They can be made in big batches and frozen for when you need them (if you manage to NOT eat them all like I did) so you can have them whenever! I ate about 6 of these in one sitting, my bad, but they were so good right out of the oven with a little bit of butter. It’s not the first time I’ve eaten that many muffins in at once, and its probably not the last time, so I’ve made my peace about it.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperaure
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease muffin tins.
- Mix together the ingredients for the streusel topping until it becomes crumbly. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make the muffins, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, egg, yogurt and water. Then stir in the vanilla. Pour the wet mixture over the flour mixture and mix until just combined (do no overmix!). Fold in the chocolate chips and blueberries.
- Place 1 tbsp of the batter into the muffin tins. Sprinkle 2 tsp of the streusel toppings over the batter, add another tbsp of batter over top and then sprinkle with more streusel topping. Repeat with the other muffin tins.
- Bake approx 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us on Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld so we can see what you’re cooking!