It’s blueberry season! I almost forgot because I’ve been obsessed with peaches lately, but you guys already knew that. How could I have ignored those plump, juicy bites of sweet sugar and tartness!? This blueberry ginger cheesecake crisp is how I make up for it. My bad blueberries, never will I ignore you again! This is my perfect version of summer comfort food = blueberries baked with ginger and a cream cheese mixture and then topped with a sweet, crunchy,nutty oat mixture. It’s creamy, slightly tart but sweet with a healthy taste of ginger that I can’t get enough of. I’m a strong believer that comfort food isn’t just for winter. I refuse to leave a whole group of recipes to the colder months. It just wouldn’t be fair! This blueberry crisp is a perfect recipe for summer comfort food. I used fresh summer blueberries, lemon and cream cheese to lighten up the crisp while still feeling like a cozy, comforting dessert. You could use any fruit you like, but I love the combination of blueberries, ginger and cinnamon together so I went for it! Oh and then there’s the creamy cheesecake mixture. I know right?! It’s basically a blueberry cheesecake meets fruit crisp. The creaminess of a cheesecake bites with the baked blueberries is so decadent, gooey and obviously delicious. And then you bite into the crispy baked oats layer with pecans and everything gets blurry after that. I had eaten half of the dessert before I realized that maybe I should share this with my family. So before I could eat any more of it, I packed it up in a Tupperware and drove it straight over to my brother’s house. For real, I had to or the whole thing would have been in my belly. The blueberries are mixed with a little (more like A LOT) of ginger before baking it. Ginger has to be one of my favourite flavours. I add it into all my soups and curries. I get that some people can do without it, but I love it. It packs a serious flavour punch but the cream cheese and sweet blueberries even it out so well, I promise!
If you like ginger too, please add it to the crisp! It’s so good and gives it another layer of flavour that makes it a next level dessert. And the smell!?! OMG the smell of blueberries, cinnamon and ginger is still lingering in my kitchen 2 days later, I looooooooove it!
I topped the crisp with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, because any baked fruit dessert deserves a scoop of ice cream! The contrast of the warm baked dessert and cold ice cream is the perfect balance and I can’t eat it without it! Actually no, I probably would, but it’s so much better with it.
- 4 cups blueberries (yup, that’s a lot of blueberries!)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Grated ginger, 1 inch
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 8 oz plain cream cheese
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
Oat Crisp Topping:
- 1 cup of oats
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a mixing bowl, combine the blueberries, brown sugar, lemon zest, ginger, cinnamon and 1 tsp of vanilla. Stir together until the blueberries are coated in the mixture. Pour into a cast iron pan.
- Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and remaining tsp of vanilla in another bowl. You can use a stand mixer or a bit of upper body strength to mix it all together. Place dollops of the cream cheese mixture over the blueberries.
- To make the oat crisp topping, combine the ingredients together until a crumb mixture forms. Spread over the blueberries and cream cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the blueberries start bubbling and the crisp topping starts to turn brown. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream before eating (optional).
Don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us on Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld so we can see what you’re cooking!