We’re still in peach season here, and while I’m savouring every minute of it, I can feel it slipping through my fingers with every bite I take into those juicy, ripe peaches. It’s slowly inching away and I feel like I need to grab onto it with every muscle in my body. I’m still reveling in its smell when I walk through the aisles of the grocery store. The mounds of ripe peaches and nectarines taunting me, begging me to eat them all. And don’t get me wrong, I try!
I can’t resist, so I nearly always come home with a bag of peaches, too many for me to possibly eat on my own. So that’s when I get to make recipes like this one. These juicy peaches are mixed with creamy ricotta cheese and cardamom, stuffed into wonton wrappers before frying them and then topped with a sweet, cozy, chai tea glaze and more ricotta cheese. Oh my!
The cream cheese and ricotta oozes out of the crunchy wonton wrappers. The taste of cardamom hits the back of my tongue and I’m instantly comforted by the familiar taste. It’s the taste of home, of my mom cracking cardamom pods over our tea kettle or into a pot of rice. It’s the taste of many, MANY cups of chai tea consumed on the couch as we relayed the happenings of our day, the good, the bad and the frustrating.
The only thing that makes it better is the chai tea glaze. The glaze is sweet and sticky and pretty much my new purpose in life. Generously pour the glaze over the wonton fritters. Dip the fritters into the leftover glaze, or eat it with a spoon, and savour each sweet bite. The taste is comforting, homely, and irresistible.
It may only be a few simple ingredients, but this breakfast comes together perfectly for a cool, fall morning at home. It’s the kind of breakfast you crave when you want to spend a day in your PJs. When it’s raining outside and you shut the world out for the day. When all you can muster up is a trip to the mailbox then scurrying back inside before the cold chill settles into your house.
You definitely need to make these, as the summer weather escapes us and the void is filled with crisp air of fall. I’m excited about this recipe, it’s a perfect transition with summer fruit and fall flavours! Another breakfast win!
- 1 cup of chopped peaches
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 12-15 wonton wrappers
- Coconut oil
- 1 cup of water
- 2 chai tea bags
- 6 tbsp icing sugar
- 12-15 wonton wrappers
- In a large mixing bowl, add the peaches, cream cheese, ricotta, cardamom and honey. Mix together until combined
- Place a tsp of filling into the middle of each wonton wrapper and fold over to create a triangle. Seal the edges with a little bit of water. Repeat with remaining wrappers and peach filling.
- To shallow fry the wontons, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the wontons and cook for 2 mins on each side until both sides are browned. Remove from heat and place on a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, heat the water on the stove over medium heat until it starts boiling then add the tea bags. Remove the sauce pan for the stove and let it steep for 10 minutes. Add the chai tea, one tbsp at a time to the icing sugar until the desired consistency is achieved (I used 1½ tbsp)
If you make this recipe, don’t forget tag us with #littlekitchenbigworld!