Because toasted marshmallows BELONG in your ice cream! It’s creamy vanilla ice cream, toasted marshmallow gooey goodness and chocolate bits all in one bite, does it get any better? Actually, I take that question back because it DOES get better, you could top it all off with homemade chocolate magic shell….which is what we did…so yeah, ice cream win!!
Canada Day long weekend is coming up fast, so it felt like a perfect time to share this recipe with you! I know that you’re all planning on spending your long weekend on a patio, at the cottage and celebrating with friends and family. So, what better way to celebrate it than with this s’mores ice cream?? Load it onto a crunchy waffle cone and eat the weekend away. YUMMMMMMM! Yeah, you definitely need this recipe for your weekend plans! I really wanted to make some kind of easy ice cream recipe for the holiday weekend and it felt totally appropriate to make it S’mores-flavoured – who doesn’t love the taste of toasted marshmallows?
Side note – I always love burning my marshmallows on the campfire. The charred outer layer and gooey, sticky, sweet center is all that I could ask for in a guilty pleasure snack. Mmm…and now I’m starting to think that I should toast up the remaining marshmallows I have in my pantry. Yup, done!
My favourite part of this recipe is the gooey bits of toasted marshmallow that taste like it just came from the campfire. This ice cream is perfect on top of a waffle cone. I usually like my ice cream in a bowl but biting into this ice cream cone was the most satisfying feeling ever. The gooey marshmallow and crunchy chocolate bits mix perfectly with the smooth ice cream and then that waffle cone “crunch” is the ultimate sound, taste and feeling.
And then there’s the magic shell chocolate sauce. OMG, as it if it couldn’t get any better right? I know. But you know me by now, if I can add more chocolate to the recipe, I will! And that’s exactly what happened. You don’t HAVE to make the magic shell, but I strongly recommend that you do. It hardens as it hits the cold ice cream and it’s so much fun to watch it happen in real time.
And the best thing about this recipe? It’s SUPER simple to make. I’m not kidding. This is a weekend to spend with family, NOT to spend it in the kitchen boiling cream and eggs and figuring out how to use that darn ice cream maker (we’ll think about that another day because I have an awesome ice cream flavour recipe coming your way). Instead, this recipe takes all of 10 minutes to make before freezing it (or eat it as soft-serve) and enjoy!
For the S'more's Ice Cream:
- 1 container of vanilla ice cream (I used Chapman's)
- 15 large marshmallows
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
For the Magic Shell:
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Let the ice cream soften for 5 minutes. Place in a stand mixer and mix on low speed until it becomes a soft-serve texture. In the mean time, toast the marshmallows under the broiler for 1 minute until the tops brown (being careful not to burn them - watch the marshmallows closely). Turn off the stand mixer and fold in the toasted marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate. Place in a container and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- To make the chocolate shell, combine the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the mixture at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted (approx. 1 minute). Let it cool and serve over ice cream.