Guys, the holidays are coming up so fast! I’ve finished planning my holiday menu and now I’m just testing out and perfecting the recipes before the big day – including these deliciously crispy duck fat roasted potatoes with a creamy whole grain mustard dip. If you want to look like a BADASS in the kitchen then this recipe is perfect for you! These potatoes are roasted in duck fat, garlic and sage and then topped with more crispy fried sage for good measure. The flavours are amazing and the CRISPY exterior gives way to the SOFT, pillow-y potato-y inside. Yeah, that’s the description I’m sticking to. Oh and that grainy mustard dip? You’ll thank me when you try it! And it’s incredibly simple to make. Bonus!
*Don’t forget to serve our winter-inspired red wine sangria at your holiday dinner!*
If you would have told me 10 years ago that I’d be in charge of Christmas dinner EVER, I would have laughed at you. For real, my family would have laughed at you too. During those dark days, I may have set our stove on fire a couple times while trying to make hot chocolate and dropped a knife on my foot when I tried to make stir fry for the first.time.ever. No joke, I couldn’t cook 10 years ago. I googled how to boil water. So now, when my family puts me in charge of the holiday meals, a small shiver of panic washes over.
So here I am planning my menu and I thought back to the crispy potatoes that I had at a food event 1 year ago. We couldn’t get enough of them. They were crispy, rich in flavour and still soft in the centre. Mmmmm, I want those so desperately right now. Duck fat is easy to find at the grocery store, just look in the meat section! You only need a 1/3 cup so you’ll have extra to use again when you’re craving them and I promise that will be soon.
I parboiled these potatoes before roasting them so that the interior would be as soft as possible. Then once they started roasting in the oven, I topped them with sage and garlic before giving them a final few minutes in the oven.
Duck Fat Potatoes:
- 4 cups of potatoes sliced into wedges
- water for boiling
- ½ cup duck fat
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped sage
Whole Grain Mustard Dip:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Fried sage leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and boil 8-10 minutes Drain the water and let the potatoes sit in the pot for 5 minutes to the let the insides steam. In the mean time, place the duck fat in a deep roasting pan and place in the oven for 5 minutes, letting it melt down. Toss the potatoes in the duck fat and 2 tsp of salt then roast for 20 minutes. Flip over and toss with garlic and sage then roast for another 20 minutes until edges crisp up. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Add fried sage leaves if using.
- For the mustard dip, combine the ingredients in a bowl and chill until ready to serve.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and find us @littlekitchenbigworld!