When a dinner is easy enough for your weekdays but special enough for your weekend plans!
By now you know I love crispy chicken skin. The feeling as your teeth bite into it, the sound of it crackling and the distinct, intense taste is so satisfying! This Greek chicken is no different. The chicken skin gets crispy while the meat stays juicy, the potatoes are garlicky and absorb all those delicious chicken flavours. Are you drooling yet? I just ate this yesterday and I’m craving it again. We topped it with extra feta cheese and olives because a Greek dish just isn’t complete with it!
This skillet has gotten me through dinner parties, desserts, brunches and everything in between. If I’m making a one-pan meal, I KNOW my cast iron pan will be involved. Do you have one yet? What do you love to cook in it?
So anyways, we marinated the chicken in Greek flavours – garlic, lemon and oregano – before adding it to the pan. We browned the chicken in the skillet first, so the chicken skin would be extra crispy and flavourful. You guys all know by now that I loooooooove chicken skin. It’s so addictive and the taste is irresistible. The potatoes went in next, then the red peppers and onions.
One-pan dinners are so easy to make, it always surprises me just how little effort is needed and how few dishes are left at the end to clean up. We plopped back down on the couch and waited until the kitchen began smelling like lemon and garlic. I’m POSITIVE you’ll find something more productive to do while it’s cooking in the oven but we spent our time with Netflix and cocktails (recipe testing has some perks!). Once it was ready, we spooned all of the goodness onto our plates and dug in, barely speaking while we ate.
The crunch of the crispy chicken skin, garlicky, tangy and salty was the first thing I tasted. I may have even stolen some from my husband’s plate when he turned his back to reach for the hot sauce (sorry Ryan!). The potatoes are crispy on the outside, having absorbed some of the chicken grease, and soft and fluffy inside. Roasted potatoes are easily one of my favourite ways to eat this root vegetables!
- 6 chicken thighs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- Salt and pepper
- 4 lemon slices
Garlic Lemon Potatoes:
- 3 white potatoes, cut into inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ red onion. sliced thinly
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- chopped dill, Greek yogurt, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, olives for serving (optional)
- Place the chicken, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and garlic in a resealable ziploc bag. Place in the fridge and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes to overnight. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 425F and heat the cast iron pan on the stove over medium heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of the chicken and arrange on the skillet. Let it cook for 3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, toss the potatoes in olive oil, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper. Arrange between the chicken thighs. Sprinkle the red onion over the potatoes and add the red pepper. Place the skillet in the oven and let it cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and olives, greek yogurt and chopped dill.
We topped our Greek chicken and potatoes with yogurt, fresh sprigs of dill, extra feta cheese and Kalamata olives before we dug in. It was comforting, delicious, carb-loaded and everything we could want in our dinner. It was salty, tangy and refreshing and I NEED to make this again soon! Are you with me?