I know it’s still summer and everyone is trying to get in the last of fresh summer salads, but I am craving a good, cozy, tomato-y pasta dish. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still all about summer fruits and produce, fresh salads and grilled burgers. Those fresh and creamy avocados, late summer tomatoes and fragrant herbs still has my head spinning. Sometimes, though, you just need a seriously big bowl of pasta, as you hold the bowl close to your chest, wrapping it around and around your fork before slurping it up, one noodle at a time.
Maybe I’m looking forward to the fall now? It’s been crazy hot here, and I’m certainly NOT complaining, because my skin was definitely built for tropical weather, but sometimes you need a change up. The humidity (and frizzy hair that inevitably goes along with it) is something I would like to forget though. So in this heat, I can’t help but think about our cozy fireplace with a big sweater draped over me while I wrap my hands around a big glass of red wine.
This recipe helps me get that feeling back without actually sacrificing the summer weather. I’m serious! The smell of the fire-roasted tomatoes is deep and luscious and big twirls of pasta is the ultimate comforting bite of food.
This fire-roasted tomato and shrimp pasta is loaded with parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, red wine and a spicy tomato sauce that will satisfy all your pasta cravings. It’s practically everything you could want in a pasta dish. I absolutely LOVE this pasta recipe (if you can’t tell by now). It’s cheesy, spicy, sweet and lingers on your tongue long after you’re done eating it. And it doesn’t hurt that I poured a generous amount of red wine in the sauce while it was simmering.
This dish is perfect for a date night at home. Close the blinds and get cozy under the blankets as you both settle into these big bowls of pasta. And, it goes without saying, don’t forget to pair this with a bottle of good red wine!
- 1 package of bucatini (or other long pasta)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 shallots, diced
- 20-25 raw shrimp, peeled
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 red pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 2 14 oz cans of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ¼ cup of chopped basil
- ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the garlic and shallots and cook for approx 1 min until it starts to soften. Add in shrimp and cook on each side for 3 minutes then remove from the pan.
- Place the pan back on the stove and deglaze with red wine. Add in the red peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and chili flakes and let it simmer for 10-15 mins until slightly reduced. Add shrimp back into the sauce and cook for another minute.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the pasta as well as the basil and parmesan cheese. Mix everything together and then serve.
- Top with extra cheese and basil.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld!