It’s a Netflix binging kind of day. And I say that without a drop of guilt. I’ve put my social life on hold for the last 8 days accumulating into an 80 hour work week. I’ve lost my favourite pair of pants to a death trap of a fax machine (Yes! Fax machines are still a thing, sadly) and I almost died on a moped while living out a lifelong dream. It’s been an interesting week.
I say this, though, with all the love and affection I have for my job. It’s hectic and stressful but also rewarding, fun and certainly entertaining. Which is why I need a Netflix day, baaaaadly.
So I’m sitting here with the shades drawn, cozied up on the couch with a biii-iii-g cup of coffee and I’m tuning out the world. Along with a little blogging and whole lot of eating. It’s my guilty pleasure day. I get to leave my hair wild and crazy and it’s PJs all damn day. It’s an anti-social, binge watching, binge eating day that happens rarely, so I treasure it.
So what does a girl eat on a day such as this? Usually it’s whatever is in the fridge. It usually ends up being some random combination of grilled cheese sandwiches, dumplings, cut up vegetables with whatever dip I can whip up between Netflix episodes. Maybe some leftover salami and olives for a poor man’s charcuterie or a frozen dinner that I load up with extra cheese and pesto. Glamorous right? I bet you didn’t need to know any of what I just said but do what you will with that new found knowledge.
But today is different. I think I’ve earned something good to eat after a long week. There may have been A LOT of cereal bowls, a questionable Tupperware bowl of leftover cold noodles and way too many bagels loaded with far too much cream cheese.
I settled on this recipe for fried coconut shrimp with sweet peach, jalapeno and honey butter. Sounds good right? I know. The tender shrimp is coated in a crunchy, sweet batter of coconut and panko, then dipped generously into a melted butter dip that’s slightly spicy, sweet and completely indulgent. A plate of this, a season of whatever on TV and I’m good to go. My new found heaven on earth.
But seriously, this dish is amazing to eat. Like “oh-my-god-I-actually-made-this?” kind of good! Sure, you’re probably thinking “oh this would be perfect to make for my family!”, but seriously, do you really think you’re going to want to share this with anyone? Hells no!! It’s time to be selfish and eat this secretly when no one is at home to witness this. I won’t judge. Welcome to the club!
- 20-25 shrimp, peeled
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Oil for frying
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup chopped peach
- 1 tbsp chopped jalapeno
- 1 tbsp honey
- Place 3 bowls on your station. Beat eggs in one bowl. Combine flour, salt and pepper in the second bowl and combine the panko and coconut in the 3rd bowl.
- Dip each shrimp into the flour, then eggs, followed by the coconut mixture and lay on a plate. Repeat with each shrimp until all are coated in coconut breading.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. When bubbles form around a wooden spoon, you know it's ready. Fry the shrimp in batches, roughly 5-6 shrimp at a time for 3-4 minutes until coconut breading is browned. Place the shrimp on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Heat the butter on the stove with the peaches, jalapeno and honey. SImmer for 2-3 minutes until peaches have slightly softened. Remove from heat and serve with coconut shrimp!