Yessssss!!! Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!
I love this time of year – my social media pages are lit up with photos and recipes of tacos, margaritas, nachos and Mexican mash up dishes. Yay for Cinco de Mayo! And who doesn’t love a good taco recipe? I could honestly eat tacos ALL.THE.TIME and not get bored.
So I’m adding one more to the list with this post – a delicious, moreish recipe for halloumi tacos that I can’t get enough of.
I fell in love with halloumi cheese about 2 years ago. A Greek friend of mine brought over dinner to cook. I took one look at the block of white “cheese” on my counter and I must have crinkled my nose in disgust because she quickly said “no seriously, just wait until you try it”. She didn’t need to convince me any further. As soon as it hit the frying pan, I knew I was hooked. It sizzled and popped, the sides started to brown and crisp up. I had to do everything in my power to stop myself from reaching right into the pan to grab a piece.
My first taste of halloumi went by too fast. I might as well have snorted it, because I barely registered the taste. All I remember from that first encounter was the saltiness and crispiness of the exterior as I bit through it. The softer center squeaked between my teeth as I bit down. I loved that!
And now that I’m writing this post, I realized that I’ve never posted a recipe using halloumi cheese before! What the what?! So I’m righting that wrong today with the recipe for fried halloumi tacos with chimichurri sauce and grapefruit and avocado salsa.
The sweet, spicy and slightly tart salsa offers relief from the salty taste of the halloumi. The spiciness from the jalapenos is soothed by the creamy avocado chunks. The chimichurri sauce is fresh and flavourful and oozes from the taco as you bite down, dripping down your chin. You need this sauce in your life.
These halloumi tacos make for one kick ass Cinco de Mayo. Make these blueberry vanilla margaritas on the side and you’ve got yourself a party.
- 10 slices of halloumi
- ½ cup flour for coating
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- olive oil
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 orange
- ½ jalapeno, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 5 soft taco shells
- Heat the oil in a shallow frying pan over medium heat.
- Coat the halloumi slices in flour and fry in batches until brown on both sides (approx. 2½ mins on each side)
- Mix the cilantro, garlic cloves and chili flakes together. Top the mixture with olive oil until the cilantro is submerged. Keep aside until ready to serve.
- Peel the grapefruit and orange and cut into rough chunks. Add into a bowl with diced jalapeno, lime juice and cilantro. Mix together and put aside.
- Warm the tortillas. Place 2 slices of halloumi on each tortilla, drizzle with chimichurri sauce and top with grapefruit salsa then serve.