I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys! These grilled cheese sandwiches are creamy, spicy and loaded with tons of cheese and a refreshing green harissa pasta! The harissa is slightly spicy, just enough to make your tongue tingle and packed full of parsley and cilantro. It smells of toasted cumin (my favourite!) and generously lathered over a creamy, cheesy mixture then grilled until it starts oozing out from the edges.
So let me explain.
I fell. Like REALLY fell, on the ice. Not the first time I’ve done so, I might add, but I’m pretty proud of this particular experience. It was super cold out, I mean, so much so that my teeth felt like they were frozen. It was a quick walk to one of my favourite local Italian restaurants.
I ordered our food as take out, eager to get home and crack open a bottle of wine as a reward from an extra long day at work. I paid for my meal and ran out of the restaurant. Within steps of leaving, I slipped on a patch of ice and went crashing down. It felt like it was happening slowly, I went backward, legs in the air, comically falling as if I was on a TV sitcom. And all I remember thinking is, “oh god, my FOOD!!”. I held on for dear life, gripping onto the foil packaging with shear will. Or instinct? I’d like to think that I have that too.
Lying on the ice I panicked, checking first to make sure there was nothing leaking from the bag. No! Phew! Ok, any broken bones? No! (don’t you just love those priorities!?!?) Cautiously getting up, I was pretty proud of myself. I managed to save my pasta. WIN! I hobbled to car, checked for any scrapes, gave myself a little cheer and headed home.
My husband took one look at me and the leftover box when I got home, wondering why there was such a large indent in it. I told him I fell but I managed to save our food. He shook his head and then game me a high five. He totally gets me!
These grilled cheese sandwiches are a perfect cold night comfort food! Who doesn’t love melted cheese between two buttery toasted pieces of bread!?! And this grilled sandwich is LOADED with it! This sandwich tastes like a better version of jalapeno poppers. Super flavourful and refreshing, loaded with herbs and creamy, gooey melted cheese mixed into bites of jalapeno. The smell of cumin fills your nostrils and the taste is cooled by the cheese mixture that instantly melts over your mouth.
Green Harissa Sauce:
- ½ cup parsley leaves
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 jalapenos, chopped and deseeded
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp toasted cumin seeds
- 1 shallot
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 4 slices of bread
- To make the harissa, combine the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Place in a sealable jar and store for up to 1 week.
- Combine the cream cheese, goat cheese and mozzarella in a bowl and mix together. On one side of each bread slice, slather the butter over it. Flip the bread over and place a tbsp of green harissa over each slice. Add 4 tbsp of cheese mixture to 2 slices of bread and place another slice of bread (a bread slice without the cheese mixture on it; butter side up) over it. Press down slightly.
- Heat a heavy shallow pan over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan, cooking for 3 minutes on each side until browned. Remove from heat and let it cool for 1 minute before serving. Serve with extra green harissa!
Don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us on Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld! We can’t wait to see what you’re cooking!