These spicy jerk shrimp tacos with pineapple salsa are insanely perfect for game day. Who doesn’t love a good taco?!? And that pineapple salsa is seriously addictive. To admit, I had to make a second batch for the photos because I ended up eating the first round standing at my kitchen counter. I’m OK with that. It’s healthy, refreshing and I loved all those incredible flavours together. All you need are these TACOS, a couple BEERS and a FOOTBALL game on for a perfect Sunday afternoon. Seriously everyone, make these!
No one to yell at you for making a mess.
No one to tell you to use a fork and knife.
No one to judge you when you scoop up the leftovers on your plate with your hands.
Just glorious, spicy, messy food that tastes better when you eat with your hands.
These tacos are loaded with shrimp that’s been marinated in a citrus-y, garlicky, spicy mixture before grilling them. These shrimp can be cooked in the oven or on the stove, but the grill gives it these lovely char marks that just look delicious and give it a deeper flavour. To relieve your taste buds from the spicy kick of the shrimp, generously top these tacos with a juicy and sweet pineapple and cilantro salsa.
You wouldn’t think it, but these pineapples are still super juicy and ripe, even in October! I was skeptical as I scanned the produce aisle at the grocery store, but low and behold, the pineapples were perfect! I was pretty excited since I’m still trying to scoop up any last remnants of summer that I can find.
Then just add sliced red cabbage for crunch and greek yogurt to help cool your mouth down from the jerk spices! I could eat these all day since I live by the rule that you can ALWAYS eat one more shrimp!
To be clear, when I marinated the shrimp in the jerk spices, I added the orange and lime juice to the marinade just before grilling to prevent the shrimp from cooking in the citrus.
These shrimp tacos will EASILY be a hit on game day with everyone. Just make sure to save some for yourself because you’re definitely going to want to eat these!
Jerk Spice Marinade:
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (or 1 jalapeno) de-seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp all spice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30 shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of ½ orange
- 1 cup diced, fresh pineapple
- ½ jalapeno, de-seeded and diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- To assemble the tacos:
- red cabbage, greek yogurt and limes for serving
- Place the pepper, garlic, ginger and spices in a food processor and pulse until it becomes smooth. Place in a large bowl and stir in olive oil to form a paste. Add in shrimp and mix to coat the shrimp evenly in the jerk marinade. Refrigerate until ready to use, minimum of 1 hour up to overnight. Half hour before ready to cook, add the lime juice and orange juice and stir to combine.
- To make the salsa, combine the pineapple, jalapeno, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Mix and refrigerate.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill to medium high. Place the shrimp on the grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat.
- To assemble tacos, place 5-6 shrimp on each tortilla and add pineapple salsa. Top with red cabbage and greek yogurt and serve with lime wedges.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld!