I have been wanting this popcorn chicken all week! The sticky, sweet and aromatic hoisin barbecue sauce is seriously addictive and I wanted to eat the avocado and cilantro dip with a spoon. And I might have, I really might have…
This Korean-inspired barbecue popcorn chicken is perfect while you watch the game, just pour the sauce over the chicken, dip it into the avocado sauce and eat! You don’t even have to take your eyes off the TV to eat this dish! So when you actually get to see your team score that touchdown, you’ll thank me for this idea!
I love this recipe because it reminds me of a restaurant I went to last year. It was a small little place, almost impossible to find. It seats 10 people (10!) and we were lucky to find a spot for lunch. We ordered the Korean fried chicken as recommended by the waitress, but little did we know this dish would change my life. I know that sounds dramatic, but it’s true! As soon as I saw it in front of me, I knew I would never be the same. I tell everyone who’ll listen about this fried chicken.
The flavours were incredible- the sweet, sticky and aromatic barbecue sauce was poured over the crunchy fried chicken and then drizzled with a cool and creamy avocado and cilantro sauce. But it didn’t stop there! The waitress continued with a generous sprinkle of sesame seeds, pickled onions, cilantro and green onions. I watched in awe as it was presented to us and then encouraged by the restaurant to eat with our hands. I devoured it with enthusiasm and gusto. Each bite was followed by an “ohmygod” as I savoured each flavour that it my tongue.
I crave it every now and then. OK, actually I crave it A LOT. It was everything you could want in fried chicken. The sticky sauce that was just begging to be licked off your fingers, the crunch from the fried batter, the tender and juicy bites of each piece of chicken and the refreshing flavours of the cilantro and avocado that relieved my mouth from the spices.
This recipe is perfect to make for the football game. You CAN make this for the whole group when they come over, but I don’t think you’re going to want to share this with anyone. I made this for game day last week and I almost didn’t share with my husband, except that he saw me in the corner of the kitchen and had to know what I was eating. Next time I’ll hide it better!
Korean BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
Avocado and Cilantro Dipping Sauce:
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- water to thin
- 3 chicken breasts in 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- sesame seeds, green onion and cilantro leaves for serving
- To make the BBQ sauce: Add the ingredients into a sauce pan and simmer on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- To make the avocado and cilantro sauce: Add the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined. Add water to thin until your desired consistency and salt to taste. Set aside until ready to serve.
- To make the fried chicken: Heat the oil to 350F. Place the flour, eggs and panko in separate bowls. Coat the chicken in flour, then dip into the eggs before placing it into the panko crumbs. Fry for 2 minutes on each side until brown and then place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Toss the fried chicken in the Korean BBQ sauce and place on a plate to serve. Add the avocado and cilantro dipping sauce. Top the chicken with sesame seeds, cilantro and green onions for garnish.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and tag us @littlekitchenbigworld