Wait, wait, wait! It can’t be true, can it?! I’ve just come to the realization that I can’t believe – I have NEVER put up a blog post on burgers!!?? I’m slightly sad but mostly disappointed in myself. I expected more of me.
Burgers are easily in my top 5 foods. I’m sure a lot of people can say that about themselves and rightfully so! Lately, if you take a gander at Instagram, everyone is doing their take on the burger – stacks upon stacks of juicy, charred beef, bright red tomatoes and crunchy lettuce; gooey cheese and salty, crispy bacon, runny egg yolks and avocado slices. It’s a smorgasbord out there of endless burger toppings and anyone is bound to find something they love! And frankly, I love all of it! I don’t think I’ve ever come across a burger that I didn’t want to face plant into.
That first bite is the best – not knowing where to start, eyeing the burger from all sides, strategizing to see which end to bite into first. I love that! And that last bite is equally as good, more so with a sense of satisfaction as you jam that last piece in your mouth having eaten that enormous burger with fierce determination.
So here is me trying to make up for my big faux pas by making these super juicy, garlicky, flavourful lamb burgers with fried halloumi cheese. The meat is slightly charred on the outside and juicy on the inside. I love biting into these as the juices run down my chin and the tangy garlic sauce hits my taste buds. And just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, I bite into a big piece of crispy, salty, fried cheese. Am-aaaa-zing!
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 slices of halloumi cheese
- burger buns
- tomato, onion, mint for toppings
- Mix together the meat, spices, mint, egg and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate up to overnight.
- Make the garlic sauce by mixing together the mayo, parsley and garlic powder, Add water to thin to desired consistency.
- When ready to eat, form 4 patties with the meat mixture and cook on the grill over medium high heat, flipping over once.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Place the halloumi slices in the pan, careful not to overcrowd the cheese. Once browned on one side, flip over and brown the other side.
- Cut the burger buns in half across the equator and place on the grill for approx 1-2 mins. Place 1 tbsp of garlic sauce on each side of the burger then place the patty on one half along with 1 slice of halloumi cheese. Add tomato, onion and mint as desired then place second half of the burger bun on top and serve!