These lamb meatball pitas with tzatziki are my new ultimate, favourite sandwich to share with you! The sandwiches are loaded with crispy, garlicky and lemony potatoes, spicy lamb meatballs and then topped with a refreshing mint tzatziki for a seriously addicting pita. Bite into these and let the juices drip down your chin while you pour on the extra tzatziki sauce. They’re messy, spicy, flavourful sandwiches that you won’t be able to resist. Don’t fight it guys, embrace the love for this sandwich!
I’m so obsessed with tzatziki lately. I love the refreshing taste of it, not to mention the lemony, garlicky flavour that’s left on your tongue. It’s so good! I’ve been eating it with everything lately, raw vegetables, over burgers and on my sandwiches (FYI – delicious with a smashed chickpea sandwich….potential blog post perhaps?). It’s been my food obsession lately (that and Boursin cheese on Ryvita crackers for some reason??…but I digress) so of course I had to add it to the blog this week!
Usually tzatziki is made with dill, but I used mint because it’s super refreshing and it goes well with the lovely, warm spring weather we’ve been having lately….AND because I forgot to buy dill at the grocery store. Ha! But I’m glad I did because I really loved the mint in it!
And the fries! Oh geez, these are so addicting! I roasted them with a little olive oil, garlic, parsley and lemon juice. They remind me of Greek potatoes and I couldn’t get enough of them! They’re crunchy and garlicky which makes them perfect for stuffing into this sandwich.
Don’t think I forgot to tell you about the meatballs – OMG they’re AMAZEBALLS! I love using lamb mince, but you could switch it out for beef, chicken or turkey if you want to, but I highly recommend using the lamb – it makes the meatballs super tender and juicy. They’re loaded with feta cheese, Mediterranean spices and lots of fresh herbs.
These pitas are perfect for a weekend lunch, weekday dinner or maybe a game day sandwich?! To be honest, I could eat these meatballs for breakfast. Or how about a summer cookout!? Basically, whenever and wherever you want to eat these, just go for it!
- 1lb ground lamb
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup panko crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 white potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup finely grated cucumber (squeeze as much water out as you can)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
To serve - pitas, chopped mint, lemon juice
- For the meatballs, mix together all the ingredients except the olive oil and roll into 1 inch balls. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Place the meatballs in the olive oil in a single layer, being careful not to overcrowd them. Cook them for 5-8 minutes until fully cooked through, rotating them every 2-3 minutes to let the meatballs brown on all sides. Remove from heat.
- For the fries, preheat the oven to 425F. Toss the wedges in the olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway through.
- For the tzatziki, mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl and chill until ready to serve.
- To serve the pitas, place 4-5 meatballs in each pita then add garlic fries and top with tzatziki. Garnish with extra mint and a squeeze of lemon juice.