I think I have a brownie addiction. I want to make every brownie recipe out there. There’s just something about biting into a dense, fudgy chocolate cake that makes me so happy. Those 2-bite brownies at the grocery store are an evil invention – a bag of those and Netflix and I’m done for the night. So, when I started seeing all of the brownie ice cream sandwiches popping up on all of my social media feeds, you KNOW I had to make them. Except this version is loaded with Nutella – drizzled over the ice cream and baked into the brownies, and MAYBE eaten with a spoon. These Nutella brownie ice cream sandwiches are the perfect summer treat!
OMG I’ve eaten so many ice cream sandwiches lately. My latest guilty pleasure is the 100 calorie ice cream sandwiches from the grocery store. You know which ones I’m talking about right? It makes me feel like I’ve made a healthy eating decision when I buy them. Except that I end up eating 4 of them in one sitting and I’m quickly throwing out the wrappers to hide any evidence of my shame. Seriously, I think there are 24 in a box, and it was empty by the third day in. I did this 3 times before I realized that I needed to give them up.
Ugh. OK OK! 4 times…5 tops!
So instead, I’ve resorted to making my own. It’s probably worse for me than the store-bought kind, but who cares! Treat yo’self!
These brownies are made in 1 bowl and then smothered with any ice cream flavour before freezing until ready to eat. I used the brownie recipe from Smitten Kitchen to make these sandwiches because it was such an easy recipe to use! Win! Summer treats should NOT be complicated – no one wants to waste time baking inside when they could be soaking up the sunshine. I get it. So feel free to use store bought ice cream, or you can be the hero and use homemade, but I’m not judging either way!
Store these in the fridge and grab one when you’re ready to eat it. I love the slightly frozen brownie layers, it’s thick and dense and goes so well with the vanilla ice cream. The Nutella melts in your mouth and the chocolate hazelnut flavour lingers after you’ve finished. The ice cream will start to melt so eat them fast, but I love it when the ice cream starts to drip and makes the brownie layers gooey and delicious.
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp Nutella
- 3 cups of ice cream (your choice of flavour!)
- ½ cup Nutella
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line two 8×8-inch square baking pans with parchment paper, extending it up two sides. Grease the parchment paper with butter.
- In a medium heatproof bowl over gently simmering water, heat chocolate and butter together until about ¾ of the way melted. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Stir in sugar until fully combined, then eggs, one at a time and vanilla. Stir in salt until combined, then flour, until it just disappears.
- Divide batter between two prepared pans and spread it evenly. Place dollops of Nutella over the batter and use a toothpick to drag the Nutella through the brownie batter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and spread Nutella over the two layers. On just one of the layers that's spread with Nutella, cover with ice cream and spread over the brownie/Nutella layer. Place the second brownie layer, Nutella-side down, over the ice cream. Press down gently. Place in the freezer 4 hours to overnight.
- When you're ready to eat, remove the sandwiches from the pan and peel off the parchment paper. Cut the sandwiches into squares. Drizzle with extra Nutella (optional) and serve!
Don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld so we can see what you’re cooking!
*Recipe for the brownie layers is from Smitten Kitchen*