Happy (almost) long weekend everyone!
It’s bittersweet though, isn’t it? I love Labour Day weekend, everyone is trying to get in as much summer sun as possible before reality kicks only a few days later. There’s a feeling of anxiety in the air as everyone runs that dreaded list of to-dos in their head while still trying to enjoy those summer cook outs, swims and long weekend camping trips.
I am so excited for the long weekend. Not just because it’s a three-day weekend (who doesn’t love that!??!) but because this was one of the craziest, busiest weeks at work that I’ve ever had and I’m soooooo relieved it’s over. But instead of ranting on this blog, I just want to think about sunny patios, drinks with friends and these sweet and salty ice cream sandwiches made with peanut butter cookies and chocolate ice ceam. I know right!?!?!?
And these peanut butter cookie ice cream sandwiches can make anything better! You can definitely make these ice cream sandwiches in advance OR assemble them JUST before devouring them and then you’ll know what I did – which is why I had to make 2 batches of these ice cream sandwiches. We ended up eating half of the sandwiches before I realized that I hadn’t even taken the photos yet. So it was back to the kitchen for me. Oops! But totally worth it, plus we had extra ice cream sandwiches, so……WIN!!?
Anyways, these peanut butter ice cream sandwiches are made using the recipe from Chatelaine magazine. I’ll be honest, I’m not a baker. Developing the perfect peanut butter cookie recipe is REALLY not up my alley, especially when I know that Chatelaine can and DID make it better! So I used their recipe, added the pretzels because I love a salty and sweet dessert and then loaded it with chocolate ice cream because PB and chocolate is ULTIMATE!!
These sweet and salty treats are the perfect recipe to end the summer – I seriously dare you to TRY and eat only 1!
The ice cream sandwiches are so addictive and delicious, because
- Peanut butter cookies (and dough) are my new obsession (I LOVE cookie dough!)
- The sweet and salty combination of peanut butter cookies and pretzels is the best thing to happen to you this week. No, I’m not exaggerating!
- Chocolate ice cream! Do I really need to keep going??
- 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- granulated sugar for coating
- 12 pretzels
- chocolate ice cream
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer, beat on low the peanut butter and unsalted butter until creamy. Beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar then the egg, yolk and finally vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Place in the freezer until firm.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets. Place the granulated sugar in a bowl for coating the cookie dough. Scoop 2 tbsp of dough and roll into a ball. Roll the ball in the sugar and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cookie dough and place on sheets at least 2 inches apart. Press one pretzel onto the top of each ball.
- Bake for approx 12-15 mins until edges start to brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack.
- To make the ice cream sandwiches, place 1 and ½ scoops of chocolate ice cream between two cookies. Place in the freezer for 90 minutes to let ice cream harden before serving.
You could even spread a little peanut butter over the flat bottoms of the cookies before sandwiching with ice cream to make it a gooey summer treat. Sadly I thought of this AFTER I made the sandwiches, so I’m doing you a solid by telling you BEFORE you make them. You’re welcome.
*The cookie recipe is from Chatelaine, Summer 2017*