So here is a little secret about me, Mexican food was never really my jam. And it’s not because I didn’t like it, I just have never had the opportunity to experience all it had to offer! So please don’t be mad at me, but feel free to judge me a little. Last year a couple Mexican restaurants opened up in my city. This was my chance! I wasn’t going to be a Mexican food noob any more.
Of course being the true geek that I am, I had to research the menu, one item at a time. I needed to know all my options before choosing from the menu. Up until then, huevos rancheros was a myth and couldn’t even begin to pronounce the word “chicharrones”. But I was ready, I walked confidently into the restaurant, armed with my new food knowledge and ready for anything put in front of me. But NOTHING could have prepared me for the flavour party (I really don’t know how else to summarize the food I ate) that was about to happen.
We ate spicy chicken tacos, crispy chicharrones (fried pork skins), fresh jicama with lime juice and cinnamon sugar churros in spicy chocolate. We dunked fried tortilla chips in homemade salsa and guacamole and sipped (more like guzzled) margaritas until a wave of happiness and contentment washed over us.
And the queso, my god the queso. It was a creamy, cheesy, topped with spicy pickled jalapenos, fresh cilantro, onions and juicy tomatoes. The bottom of the bowl seemed to appear too quickly as we desperately tried to scrape the sides of the bowl with the remaining chips. And after ordering a second helping, paying the bill and stumbling home, the taste still lingered in my mouth.
There was something about it that I couldn’t shake. It was a feeling of being a child again, eating food with my hands, unashamed of the meat juices dripping down my chin and the food on my face (and quite possibly in my hair – oh well, c’est la vie!). Tacos were always a go-to as a kid. You could plant your face into a taco shell overloaded with toppings without your parents yelling at you.
These queso hot dogs are the best of both worlds – you get to eat like a kid (and aren’t hot dogs the perfect vehicle for this?) and pour hot, spicy cheese over these dogs like a boss! Top with tomatoes, onions, fresh cilantro, tangy and spicy pickled jalapenos and squeeze lime juice over top. Your hands will be messy, your face will be covered in food (if you’re doing it right!) and your taste buds won’t know what hit them.
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce + 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos (fresh and pickled), feta or cotija cheese and lime wedges for garnish
- Turn the grill to high and place hot dogs over the grill. Grill for 5 mins on each side. At the 8 minute mark, place the buns open side down on the grill to toast them lightly before serving.
- To make the queso sauce, place a sauce pan on the stove over medium heat and whisk together the flour and butter until it forms a paste. Pour in the milk slowly and continue whisking until no flour clumps remain. Once it starts to simmer, sprinkle in the cheese and continue whisking. Add in the chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- To serve, place the hot dogs in the buns and pour the queso cheese sauce over top. Sprinkle tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos and cotija/feta cheese over top and squeeze lime juice over top.