I know I know, January is for clean eating and detoxing after a month long holiday dinner binge. But these cold winter nights are begging for comfort food. Comfort food in the form of buttery, creamy mashed potatoes and fall-off-the-bone stout-braised short ribs. Oh this isn’t healthy at all, but it’s definitely worth breaking your New Year’s resolution for!
It was our busy period at work too, the week leading up to the holidays is the only week I really dread. Everyone is panicked, tired and grumpy when they come in. Everything has to be ready 10 minutes ago and I can barely keep up with the demands. So thankfully, when the holiday season lulled, I snuck in a couple days off. More like planned it WAY in advance, but that’s beside the point.
These short ribs are incredibly tender and practically fall off the bone before you even take it out of the slow cooker. And those mashed potatoes are creamy, buttery and irresistible. I ate a few heaping spoonfuls over the stove before we sat down for dinner, I couldn’t help myself! The kitchen smells amazing and it makes for perfect leftovers (if there are any) the next day.
And do I really need to tell you about how easy it is to make ANYTHING in the slow cooker? You already know the drill. Throw it all in the slow cooker, come home from work and VOILA! The smell of these short ribs cooking away will greet you as you walk in from a long day at work. I got your back boo!
Stout-Braised Short Ribs:
- 2 lb short ribs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup stout beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 4 tsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
Herb Butter Mashed Potatoes:
- 5 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp cream
- In a dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the short ribs then place in the dutch oven to brown on each side (approx. 2 mins on each side). Place the short ribs, beer, stock, vinegar, garlic , onion and mushrooms in a slow cooker and cook 4.5-5 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Remove the beef, onions and mushrooms from the slow cooker. Place the juices in the a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and water. Add the mixture to the pot and simmer until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the potatoes, boil the potatoes over medium high heat until tender (approx. 20 mins). In a sauce pan, melt the butter and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add in the herbs (rosemary and thyme) and stir. Remove from heat. Pour the butter mixture and cream over the potatoes and mash until creamy and no large lumps remain.
- To serve, place the potatoes in a bowl and top with beef, onions and mushrooms. Spoon the reserved juices over the short ribs.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us @littlekitchenbigworld!!