Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!
Well technically it’s tomorrow, Friday May 5th, but I needed to make sure I got this recipe out to you guys with plenty of time to spare! Oh, did you think I was going to leave you hanging on Cinco do Mayo? I’ve got your back! Or rather, these Strawberry Rhubarb and Mint Palomas got your back! You know I LOVE a good cocktail, so I was super excited to make these Palomas for you guys. They’re sweet, tangy, totally refreshing and just in time for your weekend Cinco de Mayo celebrations.
These Palomas are super citrusy which is right up my alley because I’ve been LOVING grapefruit since I started this blog. I think I’m making up for all the lost time I disliked the tangy fruit, but I’ve been eating it up over these last few winter months. I always thought of it as a food that only elderly people eat. I don’t know why, but I did. Isn’t that terrible? So last year I made these Roasted Grapefruit Margaritas and I’ve been hooked!
How GOOD is grapefruit in a cocktail? It may easily be one of my favourite flavours, so I couldn’t resist making Palomas for this celebration! We’ve done A LOT of taste testing (reason #1 why I love blogging) so I made sure these were addictively good (not too addictive, I’m not in the business of giving anyone a drinking problem!). I made a tangy, sweet strawberry rhubarb simple syrup with the extra rhubarb I had in my fridge and added it to a little *ahem* tequila *ahem*, grapefruit juice and a little fizzy club soda. The simple syrup reminded me of a strawberry rhubarb pie (one of my FAVES!) so I’m totally in love with this cocktail. I muddled the syrup with a little mint, because you KNOW I love using herbs in my cocktails, it’s so pretty and gives such a distinct flavour and fragrance to your drinks. The mint really freshens up these Palomas and I love the extra pop of colour too!
These Palomas are perfect for Spring and to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Rhubarb is finally in season and I managed to find some locally, so you know I’ve using rhubarb in E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G! I love it’s tangy flavour and it goes well with so many other fruits, but I’m sticking to a classic today which means it had to include strawberries!
And feel free to leave out the tequila and make this a mocktail too!
Enjoy your celebrations, I can’t wait to see what kind of tequila cocktails and tacos everyone gets into this weekend!!
Strawberry Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ cup diced strawberry
- ½ cup diced rhubarb
- ]2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3 mint leaves
- 2 ounces of strawberry rhubarb simple syrup
- 1-2 ounces of tequila (depends on how strong you like your cocktail)
- club soda
- mint sprig for garnish
- strawberry slices for garnish
- For the simple syrup, in a small sauce pan, combine the ingredients and heat over medium low heat until it starts to simmer. Stir and remove from the heat. Let it cool down then strain (or don't strain if you prefer chunks of strawberry/rhubarb in your cocktail!).
- For the cocktail, combine the grapefruit juice, lime juice and mint springs in a glass and muddle together. Add the strawberry rhubarb syrup and strain into a fresh glass. Pour in the tequila and top with club soda and ice. Garnish with mint sprig and strawberry slices then serve!
Don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us on Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld so we can see what you’re cooking!!