YES to sweet potato fries!
These fries are baked in a spicy coating making them extra crispy and flavourful before being topped with creamy beer cheese sauce. The combination is pretty much PERFECT for the upcoming cool weather. It’s creamy and spicy and will definitely warm you up long after the oven is turned off! It’s basically fall snacking at its best!
I ate these this week while I packed for our upcoming trip. Did I mention that we’re heading to India next Friday? OMG this trip came up fast. Like TOO fast! I’m so far from being prepared and I have less than a week to do so. Yipes! There’s so much to do, and yet I still managed to find time to bake up these fries and make a cheese sauce from scratch. Priorities, am I right!?!?
India is EASILY one of my favourite countries to visit. The food, smells, sights and bright colours are overwhelming on the senses, but you take it in as best you can. And the traffic, OMG I love sitting in traffic! Haha is that weird? There are sooooo many things happening – a two lane street becomes 5 lanes, a herd of cows will inevitably pass you by and a swarm of scooters with families piled on top, weave in and out between the cars. Everywhere you look, there’s something happening. It’s NOTHING like our boring traffic at home!
So I ate these spicy fries while I packed. I used cumin and extra chili to put me in the mood for my trip and ate them with this pumpkin beer cheese sauce. Because fall!!
These fries are super crispy on the outside. The spicy coating leaves your tongue tingling and you can’t help but dunk the fries in MORE of the cheese sauce. But maybe that was my plan all along – how to eat MORE cheese!! And I just had to use pumpkin beer. I was kind of excited to use it because…well…let’s be honest, when else am I EVER going to cook with pumpkin beer!?! I’m sure I’ll find a way, but a cheese sauce just seemed to perfect to pass up!
I’ll admit, I didn’t get much packing done. Once I started eating these, I couldn’t stop. And then I was faced with a sweet potato fry food coma and Netflix seemed more tempting than laundry. My plan failed, but the fries were delicious! So…..win!?!!?
Sweet Potato Fries:
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into 1cm strips
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
Pumpkin Beer Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 cup pumpkin beer
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley and chili flakes for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425F and grease a baking sheet.
- Toss the sweet potato fries in the olive oil, salt, spices and garlic. Arrange the fries in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip over the fries, and then cook for another 10-15 minutes until crispy. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- While the fries are baking, make the cheese sauce. Place a small sauce pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk together and let it cook for 2 minutes while continuing to whisk. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Whisk in the beer and let it simmer for 5 minutes until it cooks down slightly and cooks out the alcohol. Stir in the milk and let it cook for 2 minutes as it simmers. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cheese (1 cup at a time), stirring it until it melts completely. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with parsley and chili flakes. Serve with sweet potato fries!