These grilled hot dogs make me so excited for summer! It’s still pretty chilly here, but the sun is out and our trees are starting to bloom their beautifully pink cherry blossoms. It’s a wonderful feeling, knowing that winter is far behind and summer is making her grand entrance. The sound of kids squealing and playing and the smell of firewood and rain flood into my house and I’m suddenly craving summer food, like these pineapple and bacon grilled hot dogs with pickled slaw. Spicy, tangy coleslaw over grilled hot dogs and topped with salty, crispy bacon and sweet pineapple. I love a good cook out but our barbecue isn’t up yet so these hot dogs happened on our indoor grill (an indoor grill that once carried us through 6 weeks while our stove was out of commission). I suppose we could have brought out the barbecue by now, but I don’t trust mother nature (she’s a fickle one!) so I’ll wait until sunshine and hot days are promised before that contraption is dragged out of the garage.
A summer cook out always means hot dogs for me. I know they aren’t, by any means, healthy, and I KNOW I’m supposed to frown on any processed food, but I can’t turn down a good hot dog! Maybe it brings me back to my childhood, or maybe the smell just means summer, but I can’t resist, and I won’t even try. I can’t even PRETEND to try, because they’re too delicious! There’s just something about the grill being fired up and the sizzling sound of the hot dogs hitting the hot grill that just makes me salivate.
But to be honest, I’m most excited by the toppings on this hot dog, especially when the words “bacon” and “pineapple” come into play! I love this flavour combination together, maybe not on a pizza (I’m a strong believer that pineapple does NOT belong on pizza…I bet you want to hate me now?!?) but anywhere else, this combination is super incredibly delicious and balances out the spicy, pickled slaw. Oh the pickled slaw you say? It is truly, honestly, just perfect for summer! It’s salty, sweet, fiery and crunchy as you bite through the hot dog and into the tangy slaw. The salty bacon and sweet pineapple hits your taste buds first, followed by the spicy pickled slaw; the jalapeno bites only relieved by the chunks of pineapple.
- Pickled Slaw:
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup, chopped cooked bacon
- 1 cup, diced pineapple
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- hot sauce, cilantro, lime wedges
- In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage, onion and jalapenos. In a sauce pan, simmer the vinegar, salt and sugar over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour the vinegar over cabbage salad and mix it together. Place in the fridge and let it cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill to medium heat, place the hot dogs on the grill and cook for 10 minutes, 5 minutes on opposite sides.
- Place the hot dogs in the buns and top with pickled slaw, bacon and pineapple. Serve with lime wedges, hot sauce (I love Chalupa's) and cilantro leaves.
Don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us on Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld!