Ok I swear these are SO GOOD and you don’t want to miss out on it!! You’re probably hating me right now, wondering why I’m making you eat brussel sprouts right?! Priya is the worst! But seriously, these are delicious. The brussel sprouts are roasted in the oven until crispy and charred, topped with salty bacon and feta cheese, pomegranate arils for a little burst of sweetness and a refreshing Greek yogurt dressing just because. I need you to trust me on this you guys – when have I ever led you astray before?
I never ate brussel sprouts as a kid. In fact, I only started eating them 2 years ago at Christmas. I found a recipe that included bacon with brussel sprouts, so how could I resist? I mean, EVERYTHING is better with bacon, right? That’s just common sense! So, I roasted the brussel sprouts, added bacon and a little cream and I was in heaven. The sprouts were still a bright green, soft and charred on the outside but still slightly crunchy inside.
Since then, my husband and I eat them all the time but every time I explain to someone that I’m craving brussel sprouts, they give me a weird look as if I’ve said something totally disgusting. I didn’t understand until someone explained to me that the common way of cooking brussel sprouts was to boil them in water until they look unrecognizable and practically break down into mush, soft and puke-coloured (am I even supposed to use the word “puke” in a food blog, I feel like that’s against the rules), bland and bitter.
These are salty, charred and mixed with bacon so you know I have your back! These brussel sprout tacos are then loaded with ALL the feta cheese, broccoli slaw, fresh cilantro and sweet and plump pomegranate arils. I couldn’t wait to eat them, I thought of these tacos all night before I made them. And then I ate ALL of them…..ALL. Sorry Ryan! But not sorry, because while I may have put myself in a food coma, it was soooo-oooooo worth it!
My favourite part (other than the brussel sprout/bacon combo) is the pomegranate arils. I love biting into those juicy nuggets and it adds the perfect amount of sweetness to balance the saltiness. I love these for an easy weeknight dinner in the fall. These tacos come together in less than 30 minutes and you’ll be diving into these in no time!
- 4 cups brussel sprouts, cut in halves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, pancetta or prosciutto; chopped roughly
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (your choice!)
- crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup of packaged broccoli slaw
- pomegranate arils
- soft taco shells
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Toss the sprout halves with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flip over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- minutes before the brussel sprouts are done baking, add the chopped bacon to the pan.
- While the sprouts are baking, make the dressing by combining the Greek yogurt, lime juice and hot sauce. Thin with water to desired consistency and season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to use.
- When the brussel sprouts are done, remove from the oven and let it cool slightly. Spoon the brussel sprouts into the soft taco shells and top with feta cheese, broccoli slaw mix, pomegranate arils and cilantro leaves. Top with Greek yogurt dressing and serve!
Don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us on Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld so we can see what you’re cooking!!