Ohmygod guys, where have the days gone. Is it already mid-July!? I mean, what the what?!?! I haven’t posted in a little while and I’m so sorry guys! Between work being cray and the fundraising events we’ve been hosting for our upcoming trip to India, the days got away from me. I did manage to find some time to make these jerk salmon bowls with sweet and spicy slaw though. Go me! These jerk salmon bowls with sweet and spicy slaw are the epitome of summer eating and grilling. Nailed it!
So yeah! We’re going to Indian this September. I’m really excited, it’s one of my favourite countries to visit. The smells and sounds are enough to overstimulate your brain, but I love it all. This time, however, we’re not going totally for a vacation. A few of us are heading on a humanitarian trip. I know it will be sad, humbling and eye-opening but I love visiting this country, so I’m in! I’m ready for it.
Between all the events we’ve been running and trying to (albeit unsuccessfully) fit everything else in, of course I still manage to find time to cook up something yummy. You know me! When do I ever NOT prioritize food?!?!?! It’s how I get through my day. I cope with busy and stressful days by thinking about food.
And these salmon bowls. I thought A LOT about these jerk salmon bowls last week. What should I put in the slaw? Are cherries still in season? What should I marinate the salmon in? Should I pan fry it or grill it? AND. SO. ON.
I love the fruit in the summer slaw. I used peaches and cherries, perfectly in season right now and it goes so well with the spicy salmon. I made the slaw really simple so that you can taste all the fresh produce in it. It’s crunchy, sweet, tangy and smells like summer. Oh and the salmon!! The salmon is spicy, tender and super flavourful. I could eat these bowls all summer long, and you know by now that I probably will. I love a good salad/slaw. The crunchiness and flavours – each bite with a different combination of fruits, herbs and veg, it’s exciting to me!
What are you making this week? Are you loving the summer produce just as much as I am?? Check out this recipe for Cherry Ginger Beer Slushies we posted last week for more summer fruit inspo!
- 4 cups of purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 peach, sliced into matchsticks
- 10 cherries, pitted and cut in halves
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ½ cup red onion, sliced thin
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Jerk Salmon:
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- Marinate the salmon by combining all the ingredients in a plastic bag and place in the fridge until ready to use. When ready to cook, heat a grill pan over medium high heat and grease the grates. Place the salmon skin side down on the grill and cook for 4 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 2 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from heat.
- To make the slaw, combine all the cabbage, fruit, cilantro and red onion in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil and honey. Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place the slaw on the plate and top with a salmon fillet. You can add extra fruit or a dollop of Greek yogurt on the side as well!
Don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us on Instagram @littlekitchenbigworld so we can see what you’re cooking!!