So it’s officially that time of year again, when you know you need to start eating healthy but the temperature outside calls for cozy stews and casseroles. Like when that last button on my pants refuses to be my friend, as I suck it in and say a little prayer, hoping to God that my favourite pair of pants don’t succumb to the pressure. Not like that happened…or anything. The bleary and rainy days beg for comfort food but by this time of year, I’m over it.
So here I am, my pants fitting a little too tight for me to confidently walk out the door, and all I can think about is what I should eat when I get home from work. I should be thinking about eating a cliché salad of limp lettuce leaves and soggy cucumber. Or maybe some kind of protein shake while giving a fake little smile as I say “Oh but I actually really like that taste of it!”
But don’t we deserve better than that!? Why does healthy food always seem to sacrifice flavour? We should be able to have our cake and eat it too! Oh….bad analogy?!?
So with that in mind, I promised myself I would eat more fish. It’s incredibly healthy (but we all know that by now) and it also takes on any flavour you want it to. With this cold weather looming over us, this beautiful piece of fish deserves something heavier than a little lemon juice and a sprinkle of herbs.
And so here we are now with this aromatic, tandoori-spiced salmon that is seriously kick-ass. I mean, I completely forgot that I’m trying (keyword: trying) to eat healthy.
This salmon is an easy crowd-pleaser and makes a quick week night dinner for the family and guests! I roasted a few potatoes and added the salmon on the same pan when the potatoes were almost done, so it’s an easy clean-up as well. Bonus!
Serve it on a pretty plate with some cilantro, lemon wedges and red onion and you’ve knocked another dinner out of the park. You’re welcome.
Bonus round, if you manage to have any leftovers, add this to a pita with a little cucumber, lemon and yogurt for a perfectly packed lunch.
- 2 tablespoons of tandoori masala *see link for homemade tandoori masala in the footnotes*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 lb of potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4-5 lemon slices
- Mix the tandoori masala, olive oil and salt together to form a paste.
- Rub the paste over the salmon fillets and marinate at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Mix the potatoes, olive oil, cumin, garam masala and salt together. Spread over a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes have been in the oven for 20 mins, move the potatoes to the sides of the pan and place the salmon fillets in the middle. Top with lemon slices and return to the oven for 8-10 minutes until the fish is just cooked through.
- To serve, sprinkle cilantro leaves and red onion over the potatoes and fish and serve.
*How to make homemade tandoori masala*