These last couple weeks have been a blur. My days have merged into one long horrendous work stretch, taking me though 14 hour work days and 18 straight days that felt like it would never end. My head is spinning and I think I’m talking in my sleep again. My apologies to my husband. No, I’m not looking for pity. I do this to myself. The paycheck looks good, and it’s easier to say yes than no when someone asks you in desperation to cover a shift.
So here I am, with a morning all to myself. After living off of cheese and crackers and protein shakes at work, my stomach is yearning for something more. Something fresh and delicious that will fill up my belly, inspire my taste buds and remind my body again that there is real food out there. I need this desperately. So I’m going to make it count. A quiet morning to myself is a perfect way to recharge my batteries and a perfectly made sandwich is about to happen. But since I’m dragging my feet this morning and my hand is gripped around the biggest coffee mug I could find, I need to make something easy. So bacon it is.
I’ve never been a big fan of the BLT. It seemed like such a simple, boring combination that’s overrated. Don’t get me wrong, I love bacon just as much as the next person, probably more! But adding some limp iceberg lettuce and mealy tomato slices between two slices of bread with a couple strips of bacon isn’t going to do it for me. I know you’re probably ready to yell at me. Maybe close your browser and click “unsubscribe” from the blog’s mailing list. But the BLT is about to have its redemption day. I promise!
So I’m going to make the ultimate BLT sandwich. I’m talking about the “Walter White” of BLTs. The “Tony Soprano” of sandwiches. This will make up for all the sad, little lifeless BLT sandwiches that have ever been served. Layers of peppercorn-crusted bacon, creamy pesto mayo smothered over juicy, ripe tomatoes. Crunchy sprouts and creamy avocado slices smothered with whole grain mustard. The perfectly toasted bread to hold it all together.
Making the bacon is super easy. I love to cook it in the oven since it’s completely hands-off and you end up with perfectly crispy bacon strips by the end of the 20 minutes. I poured myself an extra cup of coffee in that time. Smother the bread with pesto mayo and tomato slices before adding another layer of greens and mustard.
Can I just take a moment to thank the sandwich gods for this combination!? This sandwich is sublime, creamy, salty, crunchy and intensely flavourful with a spice kick from the peppercorns. It’s a freakin’ badass BLT and I can never go back to hating on this sandwich.
- 6 slices of bacon, I used peppercorn-crusted bacon
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 tomato slices
- 1 tsp pesto
- 2 tsp mayo
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- ½ an avocado
- bunch of sprouts
- Heat the oven to 425F. Arrange the bacon on a baking rack with a baking tray underneath to catch the bacon drippings. Bake for approx. 20 mins until cooked through. Remove from the oven.
- While the bacon cools slightly, toast the bread to desired doneness
- Mix the pesto and mayo together.
- Place bacon strips over the first piece of toast. Place the second piece of toast over top and spread the pesto mayo over the bread. Add the tomato slices. Place another piece of toast over the tomatoes and spread the mustard over top. Add the bunch of sprouts and avocado slices and top with the final piece of toast. Cut into two halves and devour!