Oh man, I’ve been craving a big bowl of spicy tomato pasta lately. Maybe it’s the cold weather or the semi-healthy, albeit unsuccessful, eating that I’ve been trying to stick to (no thanks to the loads of Christmas baked goods at work right now), but all I want is a big bowl of carbs. Pasta to be more specific. Like this baked, ooey-gooey, spicy baked pasta. This beef brisket ragu pasta is slowly cooked in the oven and then topped with layers of cheese before being devoured by yours truly.
This year we won’t be able to keep this tradition. And that’s totally OK! Because we’re doing it early this year – before the holiday dinners begin. A chance to gather our thoughts, prepare for the hectic-ness and soak in a few moments of peace.
This oven-baked three cheese brisket ragu pasta is super easy to make, even though words like “braised” and “ragu” come up a few times. All those fancy words mean is that the beef is browned before slow cooking it until it’s perfectly tender and then cooked in a rich tomato sauce. Done! It sounds more complicated than it really is, but I wouldn’t do that to you, I got your back! After braising the brisket, I combined ALL the ingredients (except the cheese) and cooked it low and slow in the oven. Which basically means I forgot about it until the aggressive oven timer reminded me of the time.
And then you load it with cheese. That’s the best part, isn’t it? The cheese melts over the pasta, oozing over and bubbling to perfection. The spicy tomato sauce is rich and pairs perfectly with the tender, pulled brisket pieces. I like to top it with some spicy chili flakes before stabbing a fork into the crispy cheese layer on top.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb of brisket
- 2 small white onions
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 can (400ml) tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a dutch oven, heat to medium high heat and heat the oil. Brown the brisket, approx 2 mins on each side and place on a plate. Add the onions and garlic to the dutch oven and cook until browned. Add the red wine to de-glaze the pot then add the tomato sauce, paste and stock. Return the beef to the pot and cover with lid. Place the dutch oven in the oven and cook 2.5-3 hours until beef is tender. Remove the beef from the pot and shred it, then return the shredded beef to the sauce. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Turn the oven to broil. Toss the brisket ragu and cooked pasta together. Pour into an oven-safe dish and top with cheeses. Broil until the cheese bubbles and slightly browns. Sprinkle chili flakes over top and serve!
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag your photos with #littlekitchenbigworld and follow us @littlekitchenbigworld!